A B O U T C A R O L G E L B A R D , L C SW
Carol Gelbard received her masters in social work at UCLA. She has more than 15 years of experience working with children and adults performing individual, family and group therapy in hospitals, schools, and private practice settings. She was an NDF board member for 8 years and has been actively involved in NDF’s patient days since 2015. She has also lead patient and caregiver groups at NDF symposia. During the pandemic this spring, she facilitated a patient huddle titled “How to manage your anxiety, practice self care and apply adaptive coping skills during this challenging time.” She is now launching the Emotional Wellness Program for NDF. She plans to work collaboratively with NDF’s multidisciplinary team to help patients develop supportive care plans to address their overall well-being.
What is Emotional Wellness?
Emotional wellness focuses on one’s ability to understand, share and manage our feelings. It is also affected by the degree to which we can cope with life challenges. How we deal with stress can have a direct effect on our health, so we want to help patients find the necessary ways to manage the stressors that come along with having a chronic, progressive disease, such as GNEM.
Why are we using the wording “Emotional Wellness”?
• To come from a strength-based perspective
• To empower patients to address their emotional wellness as well as their physical wellness
• To take the stigma out of needing a mental health service
• To support patients who are having some understandable reactions/feelings/responses to coping with GNEM
• To help patients learn to cope more effectively to mange one‘s emotional, as well as physical, health
What are our goals in launching this program?
Ultimately, we want to empower patients to:
• Implement self care plans
• Adopt more adaptive coping skills
• Access interpersonal support
• Learn how therapy can be useful
• Help establish supportive care resources
GNE Myopathy patients can schedule an assessment appointment with Carol via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org